These hot air balloons float dreamily among the clouds in this adorable 3D wall art. Each piece of the wall art is separate from the others allowing you to hang them on the wall and arrange them however you want and can be moved as often as you like. They add texture and dimension to the wall and are the perfect touch in a nursery, child’s room, or playroom.
What you need
25cm diameter wooden embroidery hoop (inner ring only)
Six 50cm lengths of invisible thread or fishing line
A4 sheets of heavyweight (240gsm) coloured paper in a selection of colours
Scissors or craft knife
Glue stick or double-sided tape
Templates (click to download): Hot-air balloon and cloud and birds
What to do
1. Using the template, trace and cut out the balloon shapes from your coloured paper. You will need to cut 10 to 12 identical shapes for each balloon. Fold each shape in half lengthways.
2. Using the templates, trace and cut out the clouds from white paper and the birds from blue. For these flat objects, cut two identical shapes for the front and back. To assemble, place some thread between two matching shapes and glue together.
3. To assemble the three-dimensional hot-air balloons: join two matching shapes together by sticking the right half of one to the left half of another. Make sure the edges are lined up. Continue to join the shapes, then – before fixing the final pair of shapes – insert a length of thread for hanging and stick to hold in place.
4. Cut a thin strip of coloured paper. Wrap and fix around the base of the completed balloon to help it keep its shape.
5. Glue the two- and three-dimensional objects to the lengths of thread, leaving 25cm of the thread clear at the end
6. When all your objects have been stuck to your lengths of thread, tie the top ends around your embroidery hoop and secure with a double knot. Make sure that the items are evenly spaced and balanced around the hoop to ensure that it will hang correctly.
7. Use thread or ribbon to hang your mobile from the ceiling.