I’ve been trying to think what to give people this year for the holidays, and I was thinking of doing drink coasters. Coasters are literally useful to everyone, and you can never really have enough of them.
There are also lots of easy projects for making them. I like this one which uses old photographs, but it’s not a good option for everyone on my list, because I don’t have relevant photos for everybody.
Then I got to thinking about a recent project I made with popsicle sticks—a cute DIY napkin holder. And it occurred to me that you can make pretty much anything out of popsicle sticks, so why not coasters too?
I experimented a bit, and what I came up with was so cool! Check out the video below to see what I made and learn how you can make your own cute coasters from popsicle sticks.
Popsicle sticks (you can also use tongue depressors, craft sticks or anything similar)
Paint (if you want to paint them first)
Hot glue and glue gun
Cute embellishments of your choice
Simple Square Coaster:
1. First, paint your popsicle sticks if you want them in a cute color. I made mine pink.
2. Line up about 6 sticks next to each other.
3. Use hot glue to attach 2 other sticks, one at either end, perpendicular to the rest. This holds them together in a square shape.
4. Attach embellishments of your choice.
1. Again, paint your popsicle sticks if you want them a specific shade; I went for blue with this one.
2. Line up 5 sticks in a row. Orient them so that the middle one is sticking up highest, and the 2 next to it are slightly lower, and the 2 on the ends are the lowest. This gives you a shape like the roof of a house.
3. Get 2 more popsicle sticks and crisscross them. Glue them to the top to form the roof.
4. Get 1 more popsicle stick and glue it across the base of the house.
5. Add your embellishments.
You now know how to make two adorable rustic drink coasters out of simple popsicle sticks!